‘Utopian Realism’ is an exploration of rural utopianism, idealism and industrialism in the North East of England and Mid Wales by the artists Mair Hughes and Bridget Kennedy.

Sunday 25 March 2012

Sopwith table




The sculptural work I am making for the Mining Institute centres round one of the two fantastic tables in the library. They are twelve foot long and take up the majority of the floor space. They were designed and made in Sopwith's Newcastle based furniture / cabinet making workshops. See image above.

I have spent quite some time sitting at these tables and recently a fair bit of time underneath them taking measurements so that the sculptures I am making fit together on top and underneath the table.

The sculptures are taking shape (slowly), overall I feel like I am about half way with them. With 6 weeks to go before Mair and I install our works this is a reasonably comfortable place to be......

No comments:

Post a Comment