‘Utopian Realism’ is an exploration of rural utopianism, idealism and industrialism in the North East of England and Mid Wales by the artists Mair Hughes and Bridget Kennedy.

Thursday 11 August 2011

seeing colours everywhere




I've just finished making a "virtual sculpture" using Google SketchUp. I thought I wanted to make a "real sculpture" using coloured acrylic blocks, but I've been contemplating how to reduce the amount of "stuff" I use in my practice (particularly "stuff" that could have a harmful impact on the environment), not to mention clogging up my living space! So I opted to make a computer model instead. I think seeing Suneil's CAD designs for the components of his RepRap machine also had a big impact on me.

Anyhow the" virtual sculpture" (yet to be named) is a colour coded interpretation of a piece of text by Robert Owen. In the text he writes about arrangements of population, I guess it is a town planning policy but in very grandiose language. So I have been plugging away on my computer for the past week turning letters of the alphabet into beautifully coloured transparent columns.

The up shot of this is I have been lost in my own psychedelic world and was overjoyed to see colour just as vivid in the real world.

The photo above shows my husband's chilli crop.

No comments:

Post a Comment